5 Ways to Make the Most out of a Small Outdoor Space
Unlike larger countries, Malta’s outdoor spaces for the home tend to be smaller than most. However, many large and elegant homes, whether they be a maisonette, penthouse, or apartment, have simple, small outdoor spaces: small yard, balcony, terrace, or rooftop, that can be transformed into beautiful, peaceful, restful havens for you and your family.
Below are a few ideas on how you could decorate your small outdoor space.
Small Garden Ideas
To beautify a small backyard, especially in a maisonette or apartment, consider creating a small garden. Flowers, herbs and vegetables make everything better!
Here are some ways to get started:
- Find some colourful pots, planters, or troughs.
- Plant easy-to-grow flowers such as sunflowers and marigolds. Flowers that attract butterflies like verbenas are an added bonus!
- Growing herbs such as basil, mint, oregano and thyme will make your new garden both beautiful and useful for all your cooking needs.
- Plant some easy-to-grow vegetables such as cucumbers and kale. This will both beautify your small outdoor living space and keep you and your family healthy.
- Add some comfortable and aesthetically pleasing outdoor furniture, especially outdoor seating. Outdoor seating ideas for small spaces include lawn chairs, folding benches, pallet sofas with cushions, storage boxes, garden tables with armchairs, and even outdoor heaters.
Tips: There are so many more small backyard garden and landscape ideas out there. Visiting your local greenhouse or garden centre will also give you more ideas. Ask for advice on what plants are best to purchase based on your space, available light and care expertise.
Small Backyard Ideas
Besides gardening, there are so many other things you can do with a small backyard. Decorating outdoor spaces can be a meditative experience.
Small Backyard Decor can run the gamut from hanging pots, small statues, terra cotta plaques, or even a friendly garden gnome–they are all sure to make your yard more attractive. Outdoor rugs can add additional flair.
If it fits into your budget, brainstorm some outdoor seating ideas and reach out to local craftsmen such as Pallet Crafts Malta. Custom-made outdoor furniture, such as a made-to-measure bench, is a fantastic way to beautify your small backyard space.
If you want to add that something extra, you could consider free-standing pools or even a jacuzzi. These have both become popular choices as an attempt to beat the summer heat from home.
Small Balcony Garden Ideas
Apartments are on the rise and balconies are usually the only outdoor space available within these dwellings. The smaller size should not limit your options on ways to decorate and provide you with your little green corner. There are many creative small balcony ideas out there. Here are some of ours:
Add Potted Plants
Creating a pleasant space could contribute to a better mood and a more productive day.
How to decorate a balcony with pots and plants
- Arrange pots and planters on a shelf along the perimeter
- Place potted plants on a stand in the corner
- Place coloured pots horizontally on a shelf or an old ladder (such as a bunkbed ladder) and on the floor beneath
- Add outdoor drapes: Drapes can add both elegance and privacy to your small balcony.
- Add a fire pit. Fire pits are wonderful when the weather gets colder, and they are also multifunctional as you can also use them as a regular table to put food and drinks on. If you have a firepit, you can even roast marshmallows!
Please note: while it is very tempting to also have a small BBQ for your small balcony garden, and it is an excellent idea, you have to check the local laws to make sure that the BBQ is legal.
Other decorative Ideas for a Small Balcony
- Different decking materials can really liven up a small balcony’s area. Composite decking makes for a perfect outdoor floor. It is weather resistant and low maintenance.
- Installing covers like retractable awnings, umbrellas, and insect screens provides you, your family and your guests additional protection against the elements!
- Adding lighting is not only practical, but also livens up the space. Choose the lighting that will create your ideal ambience, whether you prefer something bright or something more mellow.
Rooftop and Penthouse Small Terrace Ideas
Whether you reside in an apartment, penthouse, or maisonette, if you have access to a roof, you should definitely utilise it and transform it into a relaxing roof terrace.Not everyone is lucky enough to have roof access, so make the most out of this cosy outdoor space.
Here are some small roof terrace design ideas:
- Adding tall plants in large pots, ambiesolar-poweredred lighting and a trellis with vines, which could also provide privacy from neighbouring rooftops.
- Planting greenery such as succulents or ferns will also purify your space and will raise your spirits.
- Again, add comfortable outdoor furniture to your small roof terrace. Outdoor seating and a table or two will enable you, your family, and guests to enjoy your home in supreme comfort!
- Install electrical outlets for your charging needs. It will also help you to work or be entertained in your new cosy outdoor space!
- Installing running water taps that enable easy cleaning, especially if you have children or pets.
DIY Ideas for Outdoor Space Decor
If you’re crafty or on a tighter budget, consider transforming your outdoor space into an attractive and cosy one with a little ingenuity and your own imagination!
1) Paint your outdoor space. Bold reds, yellows and oranges can brighten up the drabbest of areas and eye-catching shapes or appealing images could be exactly what your small backyard needs! Use your creativity and splash colour around!
2) Add artificial turf. With the absence of real grass, buying artificial turf is an excellent substitution. It’s comfortable, great for kids to play on, easy to keep clean and feels wonderful to lie down upon.
3) DIY Outdoor Seating Area: Almost anything can be turned into a seat: recycled old pallets, oil drums and wooden spools make wonderful chairs. With a little paint, they can look as good as anything that is purchased new. You can also turn old chairs into swings!
4) DIY Tables: Refurbished old cable reels can make the most attractive outdoor tables!
5) DIY Small Terrace ideas: There are endless possibilities for creating your own DIY terrace. Pallets make wonderful backdrops for climbing vines. Plant hangers can be crafted out of old jars and rope. Candle holders can be made out of anything from old wine bottles to glass bowls.
Try Malta DIY for more small backyard decor and DIY outdoor seating ideas!
As you can see, there are many small outdoor area ideas out there that will help you to create a beautiful area for your small backyard, balcony, rooftop, or terrace. We hope some of these have inspired you. Good luck!